TV, etcetera

Working on my YA edits today. Not much to say so I’ll talk a bit about my truest, dearest love: television. I taped the premiere of Knight Rider last night because as a teenager I loved the original show so so much. I don’t know if this is going to bring anything new to the idea. Probably not. I haven’t watched it yet.

I’m slowly, and retroactively getting into Gossip Girl. I might get the first season on DVD so I can catch up. Love that Chuck Bass guy.

Enjoying Fringe. Still not positive it’s a keeper, but the first two eps were really good – kind of an Alias/X-Files blend. And I loved both of those shows.

I’m watching True Blood. I’m liking it. Love the books, like the show. I’m not really connecting with the characters easily (although Bill is hot) but I’m positive it will grow on me. I find the high level of sexuality a bit off-putting and unnecessary. I think I heard somewhere that it’s been renewed for a second season so that’s wonderful. I look forward to seeing where the show goes.

Supernatural, of course, is a must-see for me. It’s on tonight. I might do blog commentary after every episode. :)

Dancing with the Stars I can take or leave. We have So You Think You Can Dance Canada up here right now so I’d choose that over clumsy actors any day.

ANTM is a must-watch for me also. It’s just so funny (mostly unintentionally). And I still get a lot out of the show since it is all about competition and using what you have to get where you want to go. Last night’s lesson that I can apply to writing? Embrace what makes you different. It’ll make you stand out in a crowd. If you try to blend in, then you’ll just disappear. Word.

And I just love Family Guy. I’ve been watching the reruns on this. A lot of the humor falls flat for me but when it hits it, I’m rolling on the floor laughing. Literally last night when this unexpected montage came up:

Hmmm… doesn’t look like I can embed YouTube video on my new blog. Sigh. Oh well, click here for the Family Guy video.

And, one of the reasons why I love Meg Cabot so much. She is very wise…

…I’ve noticed that some people have been harshing on The Hills Lauren Conrad and her YA book deal. Some people seem to think it’s unfair that someone like Lauren like has gotten a book deal when there are other, possibly better writers out there who can’t get book deals at all.

I don’t think these people are seeing the big picture. Lauren’s book will make a lot of money, as celebrity books always do, and with that money, her publisher will be able to buy many books by unknown writers that they wouldn’t necessarily have been as inclined to buy otherwise.

(I specifically asked my publishers about this, and they assured me this is true. This is one of the reasons publishers buy celebrity books—to make a lot of money so they can then buy books they know probably won’t make any money at all. Editors, remember, love quality fiction and being able to launch a new talent they believe in but know perhaps won’t rake in the bucks. Please note I am not saying Lauren’s book won’t be quality fiction, because whoever writes it might do a really good job. We just don’t know yet.)

The truth is, basically all so-called “trashy fiction,” which generates a lot sales, enables publishers to buy so-called “literary fiction,” which has much smaller print runs, and makes much less money.

6 comments to “TV, etcetera”

1. Stargazer
     · September 26th, 2008 at 12:20 am · Link

I love TrueBlood! I have watched the 3 shows over and over…I am going to have to get those books.
    Speaking of books…I AM DONE WITH MINE! (Dancing around the room) Michelle I finished with 88,000 word count so I made it…Yeppie! Now I am sending in query letters. Did I mention that I Hate writing query letters?
    Have a good weekend, and please keep your fingers crossed for me. smiles*
    Sena

2. kristin
     · September 26th, 2008 at 7:53 am · Link

I’m with you on ‘Fringe.’ I sorta like it, and I’m hoping it gets progressively better. I’m all about creepy, scary, gross stuff, so this type of show is for me…and there aren’t a lot of shows out there that do it for me in this genre.

‘Supernatural’ was awesome once again. I started thinking last night how much I wished this show and ‘Heroes’ would switch budgets for the season. ‘Heroes’ is in the toilet now for me…but ‘Supernatural,’ with only THREE main characters and a few regular secondary characters, keeps me coming back week after week. If they can make such a quality show on a shoestring budget, just imagine if they had the backing of a larger network!?

I’m also a fan of ANTM…mostly because I find the photo-taking process and the results so fascinating. I’m not really into the catfight stuff. Sometimes I fastforward through most of that altogether. But to see some odd-looking girl with weird make up on take these gorgeous photos is endlessly fascinating to me. But I do also like any reality tv show that has to do with creative people trying to succeed…like ‘Project Runway’ or even ‘Top Chef.’ Creative people worry about the same things and you can tell by grit alone, who will make it and who won’t. Those who can take the criticism and improve, those who constantly bring something new and exciting to the table, etc. Just like a writer!

3. Amy Ruttan
     · September 26th, 2008 at 3:32 pm · Link

ROFL!! I lurve Family Guy. Did you ever see the one where they were trying to rehabilitate Cookie Monster off cookies. And they caught him in the woman’s washroom with a spoon, cookie dough and a lighter.

“SHUT THE DOOR!”

You’d probably like Robot Chicken too.

4. Lisa Pulliam
     · September 28th, 2008 at 1:42 pm · Link

Oh Michelle! One of the many reasons I adore you. The Family Guy clip you posted is what got me hooked into Family Guy in the first place. I thought it seemed like the dumbest show for a long time. Then I happened to catch the episode with that clip.

A-Ha’s Take on Me is my ALL TIME FAVORITE SONG. And that sealed my love for Family Guy :D Oh, plus the scene where they have a character from Remy Charlip’s Arm in Arm. My fave children’s book.

New Family Guy tonight! Wooo! I saw the first couple of episodes of True Blood. I thought it was okay, but I couldn’t stop comparing it to the books. I was horrified by the choices for Bill and Eric. Not how I imagined them at all. But then I saw Bill in an interview, acting as himself. And yes, I’ll admit, his British accent. Now I see how he works. I haven’t seen an episode with Eric yet (trying to catch re-runs at people’s houses who have the fancy channels).

And I like the new site design :)

· September 29th, 2008 at 9:47 am · Link

Congrats Stargazer. Fingers crossed for you!

Kristen, we seem to be on the same page with TV shows. I think a smaller budget isn’t necessarily a bad thing. With a big budget they would do a lot of distracting effects. Sometimes the monster you don’t see is a lot scarier than the one you do. But a bit more money would definitely smooth things out.

Amy and Lisa, I’m watching Family Guy out of order (luckily it doesn’t seem to matter). What I love is the sheer randomness of some of the scenes. They take me by surprise. That’s the humor that works on the show. Actually, I don’t even know what channel or day the new eps are on. I just watch it in syndication. :) And that Aha song/video was my absolute favorite when I was a teen. The singer seemed so hot to me back then (he’s still not bad – LOL). I even recently bought the video from iTunes.

6. LiRose
     · October 1st, 2008 at 4:12 pm · Link

Michelle, I read your blog and nearly had a heart attack when I saw your Supernatural Castiel picture. Jared and Jensen are too insanely hot- and I’m so excited for this weeks show, which is on tomorrow! I also love watching ANTM and Gossip Girl too and I’m kinda watching So You Think You Can Dance. Oh, and I also watch TrueBlood too- I’m a big Eric nut but I like the books better. Anyways, happy writing and continue working on Sarah’s series. Thierry and Quinn are both to die for!