A week without a blog post is like apple pie without cheese…

…or something like that.

I’m still waiting on approval to show off my cover art. It’s a-coming.

I’ve been struggling like a fish on a hook this week. Okay, enough lousy metaphors. I’m trying to get into the writing of REIGN CHECK and it’s been difficult. I wrote the first chapter already to go in the back of the first YA and that went fairly well, but now in chapter two…struggle, struggle. But the thing is, I always forget that I always struggle at the beginning of a new book. So I’m thinking, without remembering that I always struggle, what is wrong with me? I even made a promise to my Write-On group that I was going to be all fast-draft girl and do 20 pages a day. But that just petrified me even further. I cleaned my condo. I organized my bookshelf. I (almost) sorted through my tax info. That’s procrastination people! And that means one thing…something’s wrong.

And today I figured it out. Even though I have a synopsis for this book, I don’t have a scene by scene bullet point list. I need my scene by scene bullet point list!!! My synopsis is more of a vague overview of the action, not the action itself! I forgot that I am a plotter, not a pantser!!!

So, hooray. At least I know what’s wrong. I can fix this. This book is going to be hella fun to write as soon as I can get into it. Yes, I said hella.

The muse also landed today and gave me a new idea for another Harlequin Blaze. Not sure I have enough time at the moment to pursue this nugget of yum, but we’ll see. As always, the new idea is super shiny and distracting. Begone new idea!! BEGONE! (come back later)

Today I took a brain break and went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic. I’d just read the book last week for the first time…and I have to say…the book was much, much, MUCH better. I’m normally fairly satisfied with book to film interpretations (ie: Twilight and the Harry Potter movies) but IMHO this movie completely missed the point and the heart of the book.

***SPOILERS AHOY***

–the movie made the debt collector the bad guy! In the book he is simply an inconvenience, but ultimately, a helpful and non-evil person. The whole point of the book (I think) is that Rebecca is her own worst enemy. We don’t need to give that job to a two dimensional jerk

–the entire subplot of the investment company conning its clients out of their windfalls…that Rebecca writes the exposé on which both 1) gives her shallow life a purpose, and 2) ultimately leads to better earning. This was completely left out of the movie! How does she get her debt under control in the movie? She sells all of her stuff — earning enough to pay off her bills! I’m sorry, but that sale looked like about $2 million worth of product. So is she $2 million in debt? Nope. Just didn’t make sense to me. It felt unorganic to the character.

–Suze married Tarquin. Isn’t he supposed to be her cousin, or am I forgetting something? Couldn’t they have simply changed his unusual name (since he was completely different in the movie than the book) to take away the gross factor this caused?

–Luke’s “girlfriend” issue, which I thought was one of the funniest things in the book (when Becky found out she’d been shopping for another woman), and it’s simply brushed off.

–Also, Rebecca’s article that put her and Luke at odds on the morning talk show was one of the best, most tense, parts of the whole book!! GONE!!!!

Anyhow, I could go into more detail on why the movie didn’t work for me. Doesn’t matter. What did I like?

–Isla Fisher was perfect in the part, and would have been just as perfect had they decided to keep it in London, where it was supposed to be!!

–Hugh Dancy as Luke was fine with me, even though they’d changed his character a lot (editor for Successful Savings??) and forcibly shoved his character into way too many scenes in order to change this into a comedy romance. He’s no Hugh Jackman, but he’s not hard on the eyes.

–Also, LOVED the black and white coat Becky gave away to the homeless woman at the end. I want one. I do have some room on my Visa….but if my favorite part of a movie is a designer coat, that’s probably not a good thing.

20 comments to “A week without a blog post is like apple pie without cheese…”

1. Laurie
     · February 20th, 2009 at 5:27 pm · Link

Actually, I’m pretty sure Suze marries Tarquin in the book, too. Maybe not the first book, but they definitely get married. (And they are distant cousins, IIRC)

And I couldn’t stand Becky Bloomwood in the books (and yes, I think I read all of them…), so that doesn’t bode well for me liking the movie.

2. Maureen McGowan
     · February 20th, 2009 at 5:37 pm · Link

I’ve been hesitant to see this film because I loved the book so much…

I can see it might be hard to show the real “villain” of the book in the film without her internal thoughts… which are what made the book so hilarious… but adding an evil bill collector???? People. She spent money she didn’t have. Compulsively. The bill collector is so not the villain.

And selling her stuff as a resolution sounds weak, too. *Pout*

But I likely will go see it… If I get another thousand words (minimum) written fist. (Does this comment count? NO. Bad girl. **Maureen slaps hand**)

· February 20th, 2009 at 6:04 pm · Link

Laurie…. Okay, distant cousins. Still…ewww. But if it’s in the books then I’ll be okay with it. How can you hate the lead character and read multiple books from her point of view? Methinks you didn’t hate her as much as you claim. ;)

Maureen… exactly. The bill collector is not the villain. It was a cute enough movie. I wonder what I would have thought of it had I not read the book yet?

P.S. And comments totally count toward daily word count.

4. Amy
     · February 20th, 2009 at 6:20 pm · Link

I’ve been told time and time to read the books, so I probably won’t see this movie until I get around to reading the book. Not that I have time for either at the moment. LOL.

I didn’t go see Twilight until I had read the book, and I’m glad I did.

5. Hannah
     · February 23rd, 2009 at 2:25 pm · Link

Yeah, Suze does marry Tarquin in the books. The books were definitely better than the movie – the actors were great, the storyline crap.

6. linuxgid
     · December 1st, 2009 at 8:25 pm · Link

здесь комменты можно почитать и в цирк не ходить!! бред какой-то.

7. ladysman
     · December 2nd, 2009 at 6:07 am · Link

Что не говори, а я прочитал с наслаждением, что Вы думаете по этому поводу

8. cauna
     · December 3rd, 2009 at 10:21 am · Link

Вы не правы. Давайте обсудим это. Пишите мне в PM, поговорим.

9. skidoknet
     · December 3rd, 2009 at 9:43 pm · Link

Круто. Добавлю блог в избранное и друзьям посовету

10. splbkean
     · December 6th, 2009 at 8:24 pm · Link

Though I haven’t been blogging much successfully.. but to be honest, what I learned from blogging is Content is King, Custom Looking Template is sure the Queen ! Your Unique Looks (Template & Logo) makes your blog seperate, different and memorable plus brandable. Then it comes to your content, depending how well and good you provide content. Visitors stay or leave ! :)

11. bmw-talk
     · December 15th, 2009 at 8:34 pm · Link

Давно искал подобный материал, перерыл весь инет, а тут на тебе. Благодарю автора

12. podvall
     · December 18th, 2009 at 9:13 pm · Link

Моё мнение, что статья достаточно интересная, но всё же требует некоторых дороботок.

13. Deriksims
     · January 4th, 2010 at 11:11 am · Link

Да уж. По поводу коментариев – навеяла на меня где-то услышанная фраза:
    Это мы придумали переключать телевизионные каналы плоскогубцами.

14. прокси
     · February 22nd, 2011 at 11:16 am · Link

прокси сервис

15. кулинарный сайт
     · March 2nd, 2011 at 12:51 pm · Link

Самостоятельное продвижение сайта:

16. Youtube
     · October 2nd, 2013 at 4:03 am · Link

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It’s on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout
    and design. Excellent choice of colors!

17. San Francisco Virtual Offices
     · July 25th, 2014 at 12:31 pm · Link

Thanks to my father who stated to me on the topic of this weblog, this blog is in fact awesome.

my web site: San Francisco Virtual Offices

18. GeorgeheS
     · January 19th, 2016 at 3:31 pm · Link

Оригинальные подарки и сувениры в Москве. Доставка осуществляется по всей России.

Интернет-магазин «Хорошие подарки» более 2000 наименований подарочной и сувенирной продукции

Купоны на скидку 10% BWEUW909 http://cllon.ru/

вот не многие категории товаров.

Сувенирное оружие
    Блокноты – визитницы в коже
    Шкатулки для украшений
    Часы каминные
    Родословные Книги
    Барометры и метеостанции
    Глобус бар
    Модели парусников

19. Elizase
     · February 5th, 2016 at 8:45 pm · Link

I started with a daily schedule really just to get some posts out there, but after a couple of months cut back to 3 times per week. This seems to work. The only problem is I can t stop writing. With the current schedule I needn t write another post for 14 months, but every day I get more ideas and just have to write them down.