Dude, where's my novel?

nano_09_blk_participant_120x240.pngOkay, it’s official. I’m going to do Nanowrimo this year. I haven’t done it seriously since 2006, which is when I wrote the first, very rough draft of Demon Princess. Since then, November and my writing schedule haven’t really lined up perfectly. Nano only works if:

1) You don’t mind writing an underdeveloped idea really fast that will need A FREAKING LOT of work to fix, or

2) You’re about to start a book that has already been brainstormed and plotted and is ready to rock.

Luckily, this year I’m falling into category #2. I’ve found that while I can write pretty darn fast, I need to be ready to rock. I can’t be second guessing plot or characters. Their motivations and goals need to be pre-planned. When all that lines up, then start yer engines.

I’m going to be writing the first draft of STORMY WEATHER, my second Harlequin Blaze. My goal is 55K words.

If you’re also participating and you’d like to friend me, you can find me on Nano under the incredibly original username of Michelle Rowen.

7 comments to “Dude, where's my novel?”

1. Sophie
     · October 20th, 2009 at 5:39 pm · Link

ooh that sounds cool!
    I couldnt pull that off since I didnt write that much until now but I have faith in you haha =)

good luck :D

2. Shannon McKelden
     · October 20th, 2009 at 5:40 pm · Link

I’m joining for the first time this year! Still not positive what I’m going to write. That depends on my editor. :-) If I don’t have a new book to write, I’ll be kinda cheating and finishing up the YA I’m working on now.

I’m smckelden. I’ll go find you!

3. Maureen McGowan
     · October 20th, 2009 at 5:43 pm · Link

Okay, I’ve joined, too. Could actually be good timing for me this year. Although I can’t “win” because I need to start this dang book now. Can’t wait for Nov 1.

4. Tori
     · October 20th, 2009 at 5:45 pm · Link

Awesome! I decided yesterday I would join. I agree with needing to pre-plan everything. If I don’t, I can’t finish anything. My goal is to have the whole thing plotted by the time Nano starts. I won’t focus too much on developing characters. Having the outline of the plot is most important for me. The biggest issue I’ll have is I want to work on the novel I’ve already started at that time as well. We’ll see how it goes.

I’ll go friend you right now :D I’m wildheart90.

5. Deb, Debbie, Deborah, Whatever
     · October 20th, 2009 at 9:02 pm · Link

I will cheer you on loudly. You can send any of your doubt weasels (great name for a band BTS) my way – I have ma stompin’ boots!

I need to be in catagory #2 and I will not be there in time this year. I don’t know wether I’m happy or sad about that, leaning towards relieved though!

Best of luck! Break A (book) spine!

Deb

6. Tori
     · October 21st, 2009 at 11:35 am · Link

Michelle- I have kind of a random question for you: Could you possibly tell us a bit more about what happens after a book is released, how long it has to sell before it is taken off the shelves, ect? And if it goes to a second printing…does that mean that it is likely it will sell-through? I am a bit confused about this stuff! I know most books don’t do very well, have poor advances and don’t make the author any money. But I want to know what happens when same author does surprisingly well with their debut, despite their small advance.

7. Charlene Teglia
     · October 21st, 2009 at 2:54 pm · Link

I’m undecided on NaNo. I think I’m going to be an unofficial participant, since I have partials to finish.

Unless I take the opportunity to pound out something else. Undecided writer is undecided.