30 Days of Demons – Day 3 – Inspiration

Don’t forget to enter my giveaway for an ARC of THE DEMON IN ME. Contest closes tomorrow (Tuesday) at 9:00 p.m. EST.

And head’s up — tomorrow I have the fabulous Michele Bardsley here for a demonically delicious Q&A and she’ll be giving away a $10 gift card for Barnes & Noble.

***

Today I wanted to talk a bit about inspiration. And when I talk inspiration, of course I’m talking about hot actors! :) I usually cast the characters I’m writing in my head so I can see everything play out like a movie. Then, ideally, I just write down what I see. Sometimes this works smashingly, and sometimes it doesn’t. But I find having a set image in my mind of who my heroes are doesn’t hurt!

I’ve written two demon heroes thus far. The first, Nathaniel, in my 2006 release ANGEL WITH ATTITUDE was easy to cast. At the time I was a bit infatuated with Jude Law, so there you are. Jude was the Nathaniel in mah little brain. A little somethin’ like this:

Jude law

Sign me up, tempter demon!

Now for my Living in Eden series, Darrak’s the name of the demon in residence. And he is the first character EVER that has not had any one actor who’s been right for the part. I’ve waffled on this several times, casting and recasting in my imagination, but to no ultimate success. Darrak’s that mix of humorous cracks/sarcasm, hotness, angstiness (occasionally, but not nearly as much as my previous heroes), and demon-next-door — it just didn’t gel together for me with any one look. Some of the boys that have been in the running include:

colin_farrell041

4517599_gal

brendan-fraser2

cookdane

Each of these actors had a quality I thought was right for Darrak, but it didn’t quite mesh for me. Finally I settled on the perfect mix of hot physique and quirky/fun personality:

scan_gq07_023

This isn’t exactly how Darrak looks in my imagination, though. I was surprised by how much of a perfect match the cover model chosen is to how I pictured the character in my head. So it’s a nice blend of the two.

I’ve said before that Darrak is my favorite hero to date to write. I think it’s that fun mix of humor and supernatural alpha hero. In any case, he’s been tons of fun to write in both THE DEMON IN ME and SOMETHING WICKED. I hope readers connect with him!

So, my question du jour if anyone would like to answer it — when you’re reading a book and if you have a favorite hero, do you picture an actor in the part? If you were casting a movie, do you have the perfect person for the role?

9 comments to “30 Days of Demons – Day 3 – Inspiration”

1. Darla Greer
     · April 5th, 2010 at 12:47 pm · Link

When I’m reading a book I do picture someone, but it’s never an actor or a model. I kind of make up what I believe the person should look like. Same with the voices and mannerisms. Imagery just speaks to me, I guess.

2. Roxanne
     · April 5th, 2010 at 1:20 pm · Link

No I usually just make up a guy in my head, I don’t usually picture actors as heros in my reading.

I have a hard time finding the right look to match a character. I am often disappointed when books are made into movies because my vision is nothing like the actor that ends up playing the character (like Tom Cruise as Lestat, eek!)

3. Jessica W
     · April 5th, 2010 at 1:43 pm · Link

I’m with Darla and Roxanne. I tend to use my imagination when picturing the characters. They always seem so much better in my head. But your character pics are hawt! ;)

· April 5th, 2010 at 2:10 pm · Link

I thought Stuart Townsend as Lestat was a better match in looks. Tom Cruise, however, personified the character very well, he just didn’t look quite right! And Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen is perfect for me since I didn’t start reading the books till after he was cast, so he’s always been my Edward.

5. Donna S
     · April 5th, 2010 at 2:31 pm · Link

I dont usually picture a specific actor unless I have read about the author picturing one. Than that usually pops into my head. I think unless its the one they modeling the characters looks on, its usually quite the mix between a few. Although now picturing Jude Law as Nathaniel is making me think its time to re-read that one.

6. Candy @ SoBella Creations
     · April 5th, 2010 at 6:41 pm · Link

There are some books that I read that the main character I picture an actor in my mind. For instance Wrath in the BDB books was Gerard Butler (300). Styx from the Guardians of Eternity and Mencheres from the Night Huntress Series is Oded Fehr.

I always find it interesting when authors let the fans know who they were picturing when they wrote the character.

7. linzReads
     · April 5th, 2010 at 7:16 pm · Link

I don’t often picture actors as characters, but sometimes I just have to. Certain actors just personify the characters, and then I can’t picture them as anyone else.

8. Barbara Elness
     · April 5th, 2010 at 7:44 pm · Link

I don’t usually picture actors when I’m reading a book. I just get a picture in my mind after reading his description and run with it.

9. tamibates
     · April 6th, 2010 at 3:17 pm · Link

not really i just sometimes picture some of my old bf’s ,lol in some of hte ones that remind me of looks descibed in book

but i do think there is certain actor that could very esay do quite a few of the books,
    johnny depp , he can become anyone..