30 Days of Demons – Day 11 – Snippet #2

Don’t forget to comment on yesterday’s post for your chance to win a signed copy of a published book from Larissa Ione‘s Demonica series or a Demonica tote bag. I’ll be choosing a winner at random tonight at 9:00 p.m. EST. Good luck!

DemonInMe_coverToday I want to share another snippet from THE DEMON IN ME. Nineteen more days to go before it’s out!! I’ll be doing a couple more excerpt posts between now and then to hopefully whet your appetite for more!

Hmm…. let me see… *flips pages*….

Okay, this is a scene from Chapter 7…. Darrak is able to take corporeal form during daylight hours, but he is compelled to stay close to Eden at all times. In this scene she wants to, uh, test that theory….

***

The doors on the elevator closed before he got in. Eden jabbed at the ground floor button. She heard Darrak yell her name, and then a bang as he pounded on the elevator door.

The elevator began to descend slowly and she stifled the immediate feeling of guilt that swelled inside of her.

She wanted to see how far they could be apart? The opportunity had just presented itself nicely.

Eden’s apartment was on the fourteenth floor. By the eighth she began to feel a bit lightheaded. She brought a hand to her forehead and inhaled shakily. She didn’t remember feeling that way when Darrak tried to walk out of the office yesterday.

The impromptu experiment was working.

Six floors at approximately ten feet per floor? So that was sixty feet.

Seventy feet.

Eighty.

A sharp pain wrenched through her stomach. She doubled over and staggered back until she hit the wall of the elevator. A moment later, thick black smoke slithered in through the crack at the top of the elevator door. It moved to pool on the floor, then slowly took form.

Just before the doors opened on ground level, Darrak had fully rematerialized. He crouched on the floor at her feet, his chest heaving. Sweat beaded his forehead. His current expression was anything but the pleasant and amiable Darrak she’d begun to expect. In fact, he looked furious.

She’d wanted to see what would happen—to test their boundaries and perhaps find out that they didn’t actually have any, but now the stab of guilt returned to replace the pain that she’s felt before.

“Don’t do that again,” he said darkly. “Please.”

She swallowed hard. Well, at least he said please. “I just wanted to see if we could—”

He rose to his feet, grabbed her upper arms firmly, and pushed her up against the mirrored elevator wall. In human form, he was very tall. And big. And strong. And she suddenly felt extremely intimidated by him—especially by that angry look in his blue eyes that for a split second she could have sworn changed to a strange, flickering amber .

“You want to get rid of me.” Despite the fiery look in his gaze, the words were as cold as ice cubes lobbed at her ears. “I get it. We both want that. Do you think I want to put up with you every hour of the day, either? Think again. But right now we can’t do anything about it but try to make this work.”

“Let go of me.”

“First I want to make sure you understand me.” His eyes narrowed. “And just so you know, being forced to lose form like that hurts like hell. And I know what Hell feels like.”

“I understand.” She said through clenched teeth, before her own swell of anger faded. She’d only wanted to test a theory, not cause any him more pain. “I felt something unpleasant this time, too.”

“Of course you did.”

She frowned at his quick agreement. “But yesterday I didn’t feel anything when you tried to leave the office. And even during the exorcism…I only felt a twinge. But today it was actually…painful.”

“Lucky you.” A cold, humorless smile curled his lips. “It means we’re bonding.”

13 comments to “30 Days of Demons – Day 11 – Snippet #2”

1. Darla G
     · April 13th, 2010 at 10:49 am · Link

Now I want to read more. Reading excerpts before class is a bad idea, since I want to read but now I’m stuck sitting here for hours listening to my teacher drone on about the government. School really sucks sometimes.

2. Jessica W
     · April 13th, 2010 at 11:02 am · Link

Oh no’s! I don’t think I can wait to win this book. After that except I want to read more.

Geez Michelle, that’s one hell of a teaser!

3. Cem
     · April 13th, 2010 at 11:15 am · Link

Wow that’s a heck of a tease!! Can’t wait to read this book.

4. Larena Wirum
     · April 13th, 2010 at 12:37 pm · Link

well if your aim was to get me hooked on this book it worked. :-) LOL sounds like a really great book. I can’t wait for it to come out.

5. Donna S
     · April 13th, 2010 at 1:19 pm · Link

Great excerpt. Really looking forward to the release!!

6. LinzReads
     · April 13th, 2010 at 5:51 pm · Link

I love the excerpts so much! I’m truly dying for this book and every little snippet makes me want it more! I literally NEED it now.

7. Tori
     · April 13th, 2010 at 7:43 pm · Link

These little snippets REALLY make me want your book so badly. One thing that keeps me coming back is the humor. Even when your characters are going through hell…you describe it in such a funny way I just have to know more.

Makes me jealous actually. I couldn’t write something this funny if my life depended on it. My stuff is a little…darker I guess.

8. bella f.
     · April 13th, 2010 at 10:38 pm · Link

so excited!!

9. AsH'o
     · April 15th, 2010 at 12:22 am · Link

Hi

I’m totally can’t wait for this book come out. I’m truly dying to read this book.

You Rock!!! :)

From your biggest fan Ashleigh

10. Laura P.
     · April 15th, 2010 at 10:01 am · Link

Larissa- Just out of curiousity: with your couples that are bonded they are caused pain with distance? That is a definate twist on everything else I have read from other authers since normally a bonded pair are calmed or a “better” person when they are with their mate…. what made you want to do the pain twist? Now I am definately intreged and want to get into the series to see what else you’ve done different in your series! :)

11. Laura P.
     · April 15th, 2010 at 10:36 am · Link

Sorry- I meant to address the last comment to Michelle, not Larissa…. darn night shift brain, doesnt work as well when the sun is up!

· April 15th, 2010 at 10:51 am · Link

They’re “bonded” not because they’re soulmates but because Darrak is a demon who is possessing Eden’s body. Their situation is not terribly romantic at the beginning of the book. I find soulmates, for the most part, a bit clichéd and like to mix it up a bit. :) In other words, they have to stay close to each other at the beginning not because they want to, but because they have to. Forced proximity is one of my favorite genre tropes. See my book Countdown for a similar situation.

13. Moonsanity (Brenda H.)
     · April 15th, 2010 at 5:55 pm · Link

Well, Michelle, that was so freaking great I can’t stand it. Man, 18 days, huh? Okay then:)