I'll love you forever, Sam and Dean, BUT…..

My caveat up front: I LOVE SUPERNATURAL with hearts and sparkles and smiley faces. I have since I watched the first two seasons back to back on DVD just before Season 3 started. I will look forward to Season 6 in a big way. Sure, sometimes it seems a little bit contrived and derivative of other shows (Buffy, for example) AND the “funny” eps, including pretty much any time Ghostfacers is mentioned, falls flat for me. I love the interaction between the brothers, the adventure, the monster of the week. And I’ve loved what the show’s been building up to all season.

But last night? I think it can be approached best with a little something they do on Saturday Night Live.

REEEAALLLYY???

Okay, so all season…no, make that the last two seasons, we’ve been building to the apocalyptic stand off between Michael and Lucifer. SINCE SAM WAS BORN he’s been the chosen vessel for Lucifer to be here in the human world and do his thing. Or something like that.

I’ve been fine with Lucifer basically lounging around all season waiting for something to happen. I think if we’d seen his point of view a few more times it would have included him watching a lot of soap operas and glancing impatiently at his watch. Because last season’s finale? Epic. But we had a whole bunch of episodes to get through before we got to this season finale.

Finally, Sam agrees to let Lucifer take over his bod. This is a human, if a bit of a special demon-blood-drinking human, with frakkin’ LUCIFER now in control of his body. Ten minutes later? It’s all over. Lucifer is contained again in some sort of hell box. How did Sam get control of his body that LUCIFER took over after HAND-PICKING Sam from 6 billion humans? That easy? Not with a few horrible episodes in between? Not with Lucifer taking over Sam AS the season finale? (which would have worked for me). Noooooo. Sam had a memory of his childhood, his life with Dean, and MUCH LIKE WILLOW’S YELLOW CRAYON SCENE AT THE END OF SEASON SIX OF BUFFY, he was able to channel that pure love or whatever enough to gain control of LUCIFER and push him aside long enough to use the rings, chant the incantation, open the hole, and jump into it. Hello, Lucifer? You there? YOU’RE LUCIFER, dude. And you totally wimped out!!

REEAALLLY???

Also, ALL SEASON, Dean and Sam have been chasing after a bunch of MacGuffins…er, I’m sorry…Horsemen of the Apocalypse Rings, all four are needed in order to open the vortex to send Lucifer back from whence he came. Lucifer snatches these rings very easily the first time Dean feebly but earnestly tries to use them (all of a half hour ago). Does Lucifer destroy them? Does he hide them somewhere where they can never be found, perhaps in a locked safe or safety deposit box of some kind? Nooooo. He takes them with him to his apocalyptic battle against Michael. Pretty much the ONLY THING that can defeat him is conveniently in his pocket, making it easy for Sam to use after he gets his yellow crayon scene.

REEAALLYY???

Let’s see…what else? Okay, that Lisa chick? Her character has faded in my memory, but I know she’s the mother of Dean’s kid, which no one has actually acknowledged out loud. He’s screwed her over so many times, deserted her at the drop of a hat, and she is willing to take him back no questions asked?

REEAALLYYY??? Have some respect, girlfriend. I know this show doesn’t write females well (and I’ve made my peace with that), but c’mon. You’re embarrassing the rest of us.

All right, during the “apocalyptic stand-off between Michael and Lucifer,” which was rather literal, I’d say, considering we’re talking about two badass angels representing Heaven and Hell. They were standing. In a field. Chatting. In a way that made me think that originally this scene was meant to play out between Dean/Michael and Sam/Lucifer. Who’s this other bro? I don’t care about him. DIE ALREADY.

So five years of story building up to this…………

Oh, look. A shaggy dog just went by.

Anyway…now we’re talking. Castiel, my favorite character, gets blown up all red and bloody. I am shocked! I am saddened. But it feels right. Bobby gets killed. I grew weary of that character last season when he got all whiny. I’m okay with that too. Poor Dean is on his own. Poor Dean!

No, wait. Castiel’s back. He’s been resurrected and better than ever! He’s all deus ex machina! He resurrects Bobby! He heals Dean’s smashed up face with a simple touch! He’s not an interesting and damaged fallen angel. He’s all glory and angelically powerful!

REEAALLLYY???? My, that was easy, wasn’t it? There wasn’t even a commercial break for us to mourn or think about what might happen. Bam. All is well with the world.

And Sam lurking in the shadows at the end was…. well, the boy is pretty but he doesn’t do dread well. He just looked like he was lurking. In the shadows.

It was an OKAY episode. But I don’t want OKAY from Supernatural. I want to be blown away. I want to be emotionally affected. After five seasons, I want it all to mean something.

You know what doesn’t mean anything? That Chuck is God. Nope, sorry. It doesn’t work. I SEE WHAT YOU’RE DOING (and I’m not in disagreement that writers are rather god-like ;) ), but there needed to be better foreshadowing. WAY, WAAYYYY better.

What I liked about the season finale. And I did like some stuff….

Castiel: ASSBUT! (Hilarious). Also when he says “everything will be fine” after he realizes that Sam’s looking for a lie. A little to late for that, my friend.

Jensen: He’s a good actor and hot as hell. Although he is looking a little worn around the edges. Aging actor or specifically appropriate to part? Either way, he’s delicious. I wish he was doing more with his outside-of-Supernatural career.

Sam and Dean: Loved the brotherly montage during the yellow crayon scene. Very well done.

Mark Pellegrino: Great actor, very effective as pre-Sam Lucifer. They could have used him way more this season and I would have been a happy viewer. Then again, I guess he was needed over at Lost for another mediocre episode.

Crowley: Loved this character. Where the hell was he for the finale???

So, all in all, the season gets a B+ from me, but the finale gets a C-. Can’t wait till Season Six!!! ;)

9 comments to “I'll love you forever, Sam and Dean, BUT…..”

1. Vivi Anna
     · May 14th, 2010 at 7:10 pm · Link

I hear you on all that you didn’t like….but damn for me, it worked. I loved it. It tore out my heart because I think I let it.

2. Liza Palmer
     · May 14th, 2010 at 7:12 pm · Link

Agreed. Agreed. And Agreed.

3. Sasha White
     · May 14th, 2010 at 7:24 pm · Link

I agree with most of what you said. I’ve been a fan of SUpernatural and loyal watcher since the day it started, but this past season was not one I was thrilled with. (Aside from Dean’s Eye of the Tiger outtake…and was that this season or last?)

Point by point….
    <i"How did Sam get control of his body that LUCIFER took over after HAND-PICKING Sam from 6 billion humans? That easy? Not with a few horrible episodes in between?"
    Don’t forget that Sam wasn’t the only one that was picked from birth. Two season ago (was it 2??? …I’m so not good at timelines) there was the battle over several episodes with the others that were like him. Remember the abandoned town and The mind reader guy, the secretary chic & the super strong dude that knifed Sam in the back? So in a way you could see those battles with others like him helped him build the skills or resilliance to fight off Lucifer inside his head….then again, he did lose to the guy who stabbed him in the back..lol

I’m okay with this. I think he shoved them in his pocket out of pure arrogance. He would’ve be Lucifer if there was a doubt in his mind that he’d lose control of his vessel-or in a battle with Michael

Castiel, my favorite character, gets blown up all red and bloody. I am shocked! I am saddened. But it feels right. Bobby gets killed. I grew weary of that character last season when he got all whiny. I’m okay with that too. Poor Dean is on his own. Poor Dean!?

I completely agree with this.

plus, I think keeping them gone would’ve really opened up some options for new characters to come in next season.

Chuck as God. Y’know. I didn’t get it until you said that. I mean I saw him disappear but I was like..”What’s that supposed to mean? I don’t get it?” I agree 100% that if thats what they’re trying to say, way more foreshadowing was needed.

Lisa letting Dean in…letting him in is one thing, Keeping him would be another. I’m okay with waiting to see what happens there, and if she keeps him around, I hope she makes him work for a place with her and the boy.

Sam watching and lurking…all it does is make me think..Is he gonna go in, or walk away?

· May 14th, 2010 at 7:27 pm · Link

“All in all. I really just wish they’d find a way to go back to the boys, the car, the road, and the monster of the week.”

And I wish Anita Blake would just go back to raising zombies and her love triangle with Jean Claude and Richard. Sometimes there’s no going back! LOL

And thanks for the reminder about the group of chosen kids. I’d forgotten about that. Still, Lucifer really should have been thinking ahead. What exactly has he been doing for however much time S6 was supposed to encompass?

5. Annie
     · May 14th, 2010 at 8:42 pm · Link

I heart this show too…them being smoking hot (esp. Dean) allows them a littl wiggle room in my eyes. LMAO

6. Ro
     · May 15th, 2010 at 6:47 am · Link

I have to agree. It definitely was the weakest season finale so far, well at least for me. About Castiel – I mean I really REALLY like him, but couldn’t they wait with bringing him back till the next season? (Or another 5-10 minutes at least?) And am I the only person who remembers the Antichrist kid? It sure looks like everybody forgot about him and he did have some nice powers, didn’t he? About Lisa – isn’t it strange that nobody ever threatened Dean with killing her & her son if Dean didn’t say yes to Michael? Dunno about Lisa’s child being Dean’s… Well, she did say he isn’t but still…Wouldn’t suprise me at all… :D
    Still, I look forward to season 6, even though it’s a bit strange to have a whole “cooling off” season, but on the other hand it sure wouldn’t be easy to create something more scary than the Apocalypse, now would it? :P

7. Heather Dearly
     · May 15th, 2010 at 4:17 pm · Link

I’ve learned to be more forgiving ever since The X-Files disappointed so many fans with the Duchovney departure and weak return/finale.

I’m a loyal Supernatural fan, and while it wasn’t the best ep in terms of playing out the proper plot threads to their full potential, I enjoyed this finale because it focused on what I care about most; Sam and Dean. I’ve been growing weary of the apocalyptic thread, so I’m glad to see it done.

8. Lisa
     · May 15th, 2010 at 6:54 pm · Link

It was a lousy episode. I expected a LOT better.

9. Manda
     · May 16th, 2010 at 7:18 am · Link

Argh. I really want to read this post cause of the name but I haven’t watched it since the Christmas break. I really need to catch up. :(