Familiar – now available

I’m happy to announce that FAMILIAR, the young adult short story I wrote for the Kiss Me Deadly anthology last year, is now available as a stand alone download from Kindle and Smashwords.

When reluctant teen witch Brenda Collins is sent by her mother to a magical pet shop to pick out her animal familiar, she settles on a small tawny-striped kitten not realizing it’s a shapeshifter currently in hiding. Discovering the gorgeous but troubled Owen’s secret plunges the witch-in-training into a dangerous and romantic adventure that will test her magical abilities like never before.

I did the cover art myself as well as the formatting. It was an interesting — and surprisingly difficult — challenge. Well, the formatting was difficult. I’m a graphic designer by trade, so the cover was a breeze. I’ve already designed the covers for all the potential books I’m considering epubbing. For me, Photoshop = fun fun fun.

This short story is a little experiment into the wide world of self-publishing that seems to be The Big Thing right now. I’ve been busy with my contracted work, but didn’t want to drag my heels on this exciting new way to get my work to readers. I have two other short stories I will likely put up in the next little while that I wrote for Mammoth anthologies — a light vampire romance and a time travel thriller romance. Beyond that, if I have time, I have a YA trilogy about ghosts, the first books I ever finished writing, which I would love to self-pub. I just read it over the other day and it needs a great deal of rewriting to bring it up to par with my other books (my writing, as well as my editorial eye for faulty prose, has definitely improved over the last eight years!), but it’s definitely possible.

I’m writing my Blaze novella right now which seems to have developed a retro-esque Hugh-Grant-like hero (if that makes any sense to you) whom I’m enjoying very much. I’m also easing into the waters of writing Blood Bath & Beyond. I haven’t written from Sarah’s POV for a couple of years, so it’s taking a bit of extra time to reacquaint myself with her particular way of looking at the world. I just found out that the release date on BB&B is set (right now) at August 2012. And, for anyone wondering, there will definitely be two books about Sarah and Thierry’s new adventures together. And hopefully more after that.

It looks like a foggy, dreary May day outside my balcony window. Which is fine, since this is a writing day for me (what day isn’t??). I’m looking forward to the RWA National Conference in NYC the last week of June. I love New York! This will be my second time in the city and this time I definitely want to get to Central Park and Ground Zero.

Okay, I guess I should get back to my writing. I’m spending the weekend working on the Blaze, then as of Monday, it’s all Sarah all the time. She should be very happy about that. ;)

15 comments to “Familiar – now available”

1. Brenda Hyde
     · May 14th, 2011 at 5:52 pm · Link

I love the cover– you did a great job:) I have to admit I’ve gotten a little behind on what you’ve been doing since Sarah. Sigh. I need to catch up, starting with Nightshade. I’ll bet you will have a blast writing Sarah again!

2. Ashleigh
     · May 15th, 2011 at 1:04 am · Link

I totally love the cover : ) I have brought three of your books. Demon princess series and Nightshade.
    You are awesome!

3. Karyn
     · May 16th, 2011 at 2:03 am · Link

Picked it up and got another I wasn’t sure I owned. Plus, I have a feeling I don’t have your Angel story, but it seems really familiar, so I’m gonna look through my archives.

4. Jeff Rivera
     · July 19th, 2011 at 5:47 am · Link

I also loved the cover. I will read this tonight. I bet I’ll enjoy this book.

5. fb ads cracked 2
     · May 7th, 2014 at 12:08 am · Link

This type of file is very important to the Windows Live Messenger program.
    Make sure you have enough adhesive to fill all the mesh and
    hide the edges of the drywall repair. Progressively Worsening Symptoms
    In March of this year, I have noticed the symptoms getting more frequent and intense.

Feel free to surf to my web-site; fb ads cracked 2

6. eternity warriors 3 hack tool
     · May 13th, 2014 at 1:58 am · Link

eternity warriors 3 hack features a substantial position inside United states
    Tradition. Lots of people are frequently seen involved
    in activities related to eternity warriors 3 cheats. It is to some
    extent simply because folks on most age ranges could
    be required and family members tend to be brought together by simply this.
    Normally somebody that shows their detest pertaining to eternity warriors 3 hack android could possibly be regarded as the outcast.

7. clash of lords cheat
     · May 15th, 2014 at 6:38 am · Link

clash of lords cheat has a significant part with United states Tradition.
    Many individuals is often viewed doing routines connected with clash of lords cheat.
    This is partially mainly because men and women of all age groups
    could be involved along with individuals are
    generally produced with each other by means of this kind of.
    Generally somebody that demonstrates his or her hate with regard to clash of lords hack tool can be considered
    a outcast.

8. sonic dash hack tool
     · May 15th, 2014 at 7:46 am · Link

sonic dash hack tool carries a huge role inside American Lifestyle.
    Some people is usually witnessed taking part in activities related to sonic dash cheat.
    This can be to a certain extent since folks on most age range is usually required and also households are introduced jointly simply by this.
    Commonly a person that exhibits his or her hate for sonic dash cheat might be thought to be a outcast.

9. www.camera407.com
     · September 18th, 2014 at 6:42 pm · Link

Have you ever thought about publishing an e-book or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog centered on the same topics you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I
    know my readers would appreciate your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to send me
    an e mail.

10. Convert soundcloud to mp3
     · September 22nd, 2014 at 5:38 am · Link

With havin so much content and articles do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My site has a lot of exclusive content I’ve either authored
    myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
    Do you know any methods to help stop content from being ripped
    off? I’d really appreciate it.

11. snabblånen
     · December 15th, 2015 at 8:17 pm · Link

This is really fascinating, You’re an excessively skilled blogger.
    I have joined your feed and look ahead to seeking extra of your wonderful post.
    Additionally, I’ve shared your site in my social networks

12. site official
     · January 4th, 2016 at 3:34 am · Link

There is certainly a great deal to learn about this topic.

I really like all of the points you made.

13. twitter
     · January 20th, 2016 at 5:12 am · Link

I pay a visit each day some blogs and sites to read articles,
    except this webpage presents quality based posts.

14. Pool
     · March 16th, 2016 at 9:58 pm · Link

This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found
    something that helped me. Thanks a lot!

15. photos videos France
     · March 25th, 2016 at 12:04 am · Link

No matter if some one searches for his vital thing, therefore he/she needs to
    be available that in detail, thus that thing is maintained
    over here.