Ten years ago I signed up for the Writer’s Digest Novel Writing correspondence course because I needed guidance on writing a novel with a chance of being published (and to bump me out of my longtime procrastination when it came to pursuing this particular dream). The first assignment was to come up with an idea for a book I wanted to write. I decided I wanted to write about a newly sired, trouble-magnet of a vampire who found herself in a heap of danger in every direction she turned. I sent off this kernel of an idea to my instructor October 26, 2002 and this book eventually became my first published novel, Bitten & Smitten, published January 2006.
This is my roundabout way of saying that this week I’m celebrating the tenth birthday of the creation of my favorite and most challenging character, Sarah Dearly. She’s a character I’m still writing about to this day since she just won’t shut up. I LOVE writing about Sarah, even when she’s making questionable choices that get her into deep trouble or choosing paths that don’t always correspond with what I have in my outlines. And, originally, even when she insisted on falling for the OTHER guy rather than the one I had planned for her (in my original notes, she ended up with Quinn, and the sexy, yet grumpy and dour Thierry was killed at the end of Bitten & Smitten!)
I am well aware that Sarah is a fictional character that I CREATED, but she is one that I SWEAR seems to have a personality all her own. And I’m totally okay with that.
I want to celebrate this milestone by giving away a full signed set of the original Immortality Bites series (the UK versions of Bitten & Smitten, Fanged & Fabulous, Lady & the Vamp (that Sarah wasn’t in, but if I had to write it again, she would be!), Stakes & Stilettos, and Tall, Dark & Fangsome) and the first book in my new paranormal Immortality Bites Mysteries series (Blood Bath & Beyond).
And I want to give it to someone who knows the books and Sarah herself. I know you’re out there!
HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW SARAH DEARLY?
1. What was the name of the vampire who sired Sarah on her original blind date from hell?
2. How old is Sarah?
3. What’s Sarah’s best female friend’s name (first and last)?
4. Who did Sarah move in with after her apartment went kaboom?
5. What is Thierry’s non-blood, non-alcoholic drink of choice?
6. Which designer suits does Thierry always wear and what color are they?
7. During which historical disaster was Thierry sired?
8. What is Sarah’s favorite blood type and why is it her favorite?
9. What is the name of the vampire council?
10. What happens to a vampire’s body if they’re killed after existing for 100 years or more?
11. BONUS: For those who really know their Immortality Bites and Rowenverse trivia: What was my original title for Bitten & Smitten?
Please send your answers and mailing address to email@example.com — if more than one entry has all questions right, I will choose a winner at random. If no one gets all the questions right, I will choose the winner at random between all entrants. Winner will be notified by email.
Contest closes Sunday, November 4, 2012 at 9:00 p.m. EST. International entries are welcome!
Thank you so much for reading my books — the Sarah ones and the others. Without your support and enthusiasm I wouldn’t be lucky enough to do what I do.
Happy reading and good luck!!